During the winter, we tend to spend most of our time in the comfort of our nice and cozy homes. With all this extra time spent indoors, it is important that the air quality of your home is clean and safe to breathe. So, don’t let these top hazards to indoor air quality cause health problems for you and your family this season.
Carbon monoxide is not only hazardous, but it is very deadly. Part of what makes it so dangerous is that it is colorless, odorless and produces flu-like symptoms. You can take action to protect your family by having your furnace inspected annually to ensure there is no risk of a deadly carbon monoxide leak. Installing a carbon monoxide detector will also keep you and your family safe from this deadly gas. It’s best to have one installed outside of each bedroom. If the bedrooms are next to each other, then a single detector should be sufficient.
Having mold in your home isn’t just gross, it can cause some serious health issues as well. These issues include sinus congestion, runny nose, respiratory problems, difficulty breathing and even chest tightness. For those with asthma or other respirtory problems, these symptoms can be even more pronounced and debilitating. Mold grows in wet damp places such as the bathroom and basement. Always run the exhaust fan while taking a shower and be sure to clean the exhaust fan semiregularly. If you think your basement is a bit humid, a dehumidifier can help decrease this problem – just be sure to empty the water daily. Mold and mildew resistant paint can also prove to be beneficial.
Home cleaning products
Household cleaning products contain many chemicals, even “green” labeled products have been known to cause some health problems. Many home cleaners have the potential of causing respiratory problems and allergic reactions. To avoid this hazard to your indoor air quality, you can clean your home with many natural ingredients found in your kitchen. Often times these natural options are just as effective and do not carry any added health risks.
Artificial scents: Candles and incense
Although they make your home smell good, candles and incense release soot and other bad particles into the air causing asthma attacks and in some cases, allergic reactions. If you have anyone in your home who experiences difficulty breathing, you’ll want to avoid these as well. However, there are many great recipes online for creating different scents in your home using natural ingredients and boiling water on the stove.