Cool, wet, damp areas, such as your basement is the perfect place for mold to grow. Unfortunately, with mold it’s not an out of sight out of mind type of situation – you might be able to do that with dust but not mold, especially black mold. This type of mold can be extremely detrimental to your health and should be carefully removed as soon as possible. When getting rid of mold in your home, you must take proper precautions to avoid poisoning. In this article we’ll go over the health risks and walk you through safe removal procedures.
The Hidden Dangers of Black Mold
Black mold can affect everyone differently – some may experience negative side effects while others may experience no side effects at all. Black mold is very serious and can result in some difficult health problems. Make sure you’re aware of black mold exposure poisoning and know how to treat it.
For those who are sensitive to molds, they can experience nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, coughing or wheezing, eye irritation, fatigue and headaches. Being exposed to black mold can be especially dangerous for those with asthma and any other respiratory problems. Whether you experience any of these symptoms or not, if you’ve been exposed to black mold, you should go see your doctor for instructions and a checkup.
How to Rid Your Home of Black Mold
When removing black mold, it’s important to wear a facemask that has been specifically rated for black mold spore protection. You also want to make sure your arms, hands and legs are covered to avoid directly touching the mold. This may seem like overkill, but for those with asthma and any respiratory problems this precaution should be taken very seriously and not skipped. Using a sponge, water and soap, use some elbow grease to remove the mold from all surfaces in your home.
How to Prevent Black Mold from Growing
Improve airflow in your home – Leave doors open throughout your home and utilize ceiling fans. When the weather is warm, keep the windows open as much as possible to improve the airflow in your home and prevent mold from growing.
Eliminate humidity in your home – In damp, wet areas in your home, invest in a dehumidifier. A dehumidifier will eliminate moisture from the air which will help prevent an environment where mold can grow.
Follow these easy tips and you’ll be able to keep your family safe and healthy by preventing mold from growing in your home.